Are you sick about hearing about holiday traditions? Another one we have is taking the kids on the Polar Express train ride. We have been going since Weston was 3 and have gone in Utah and in AZ. AZ is way, way better. On December 9th we packed up and drove about hour north to Williams to go to the Grand Canyon Railways Polar Express watching Polar Express the whole drive. Mom and Ron came with us this year which was so fun! You are supposed to go in your PJ’s and we had gotten the kids all coordinating PJ’s for the occasion. James got to wear his “Lightning McQueen dress” aka Lightning McQueen robe and was thrilled. As we drove up we began to see tons of snow and the kids were so excited. They haven’t really seen snow since Utah because last year I had just had Lucy and we didn’t make it up North. We met up with our buddies the Beazer's and waited for the train to pull in the station. When the conductor announces that the Polar Express is pulling into the station I can only describe the look on my kids faces to the look they got the first time they went to Disney World. It is absolute joy. We were freezing and glad to get on the train. The ride starts off and the car attendants/chefs read the kids the Polar Express book and serve hot chocolate and cookies. Once everyone is warm the kids all rush to the window to see our arrival at the North Pole. Out of the woods emerges a little town of lights and in the center in a huge sleigh with real elves loading him up is SANTA! It is so magical the way they do it and I myself get chills watching the kids experience it. Santa disappears and the train heads home. They had the whole car sing Christmas carols and Weston volunteered to go up to the front of the train with a microphone and sing a solo. My fearless little performer led the group in “We Wish You a Merry Christmas” and sang it perfectly! Everyone was complimenting us on how good he was. I was so proud of him. Next, Mr.. Conductor came through to give each person a gold ticket. Again, these people are like on the same level as Mickey Mouse four our kids. Finally Santa burst through the doors and gave each person a bell to remind them to believe in the magic of Christmas. The kids were over the moon and were ringing their bells all night.
After we had gotten off the train Wes really wanted to play in the snow. I warned him how cold it was and how he was in PJ’s but he really wanted to make a snow angel so I let him. He was loving it until about 10 seconds after he had layed down in the snow he screamed. I mean really screamed. He seriously thought he was dying and kept screaming that he didn’t want to turn into an icicle. I think he got that idea from The Santa Clause 3. We got him warm and in the car and we headed home—to beautiful 70 degree weather.
What an neat thing to do! I wonder if there are any around here?
ReplyDelete