Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Cry For HELP!

I am only blogging this right now to cool down from the encounter I just had with Weston.  It began when we decided to go to the library after school.  We got there and discovered it was closed.  Wes was a little disappointed and I told him we’d stop at a park on the way home instead.  We pulled up to a park and Wes said “I don’t want to go to this park!”  I said okay and we headed home.  Feeling a little guilty I asked if he wanted to go to the park a few houses down from us and he said “No I want to go to the big park.”  I told him that we weren’t going there today but he could play here if he wanted.  He got attitude and said no so I went home.  I our garage Wes freaked and and said he wanted to go to the park by our house (the one he had just rejected).  I told him that was no longer an option.  At this point he let out a loud scream and I told him to go to his room immediately and shut the door.  After he was in his room about 10 minutes I went up there and asked if he was ready to talk.  I explained that he could either play in our backyard, play in our playroom, or watch a movie until Daddy got home but he had lost his Wii privileges for the day.  He just kept repeating how he wanted to go to the park.  After about 5 minutes of re-explaining that he will not be going to the park today I got frustrated and told him to go back to his room until Tay came home.  This little kid is working me!!!!! I love him but when he throws a fit that probably leaves the neighbors wondering if I just stabbed him I don’t know what to do.  I want to shake him and scream at him but I know that’s not good.   Every time I have tried to take him out of his room to talk he just keeps saying he wants to go to the park and refuses to relent.  I feel like the worst mom in the world right now and although I never ask for it-----I NEED HELP!! I need advice on what to do with this little turkey.  Even as I am typing right now he is opening the door to his room and banging on his door.  I refuse to go tell him to stop because that will just start the back and forth again.  My decision for right now is to leave him there and ignore his behavior until I can figure out what to do…………………HELP!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, Becky. I'm sorry you're having such a rough night :( My best advice to you (and I KNOW it's not easy!) is to ignore him right now. Let him have his fit. Unless he starts doing something where he's going to injure himself or James or Lucy while he's having a tantrum, just ignore him. If you need to interact with him at all, do it calmly and don't show him how crazy he's making you. He wants a reaction out of you, and the less you react and the more you stand your ground, the less likely he'll be to do this more in the future. It will be alright! You're a great Mommy, don't doubt that, just take a deep breath and let him throw his fit. ((hugs)) Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I'm sorry. I think you are doing the right thing. Have you read the book Parenting with Love and Logic? The idea behind it is awesome. I hope it gets better or at least that Taylor gets home so you can go get a treat at a gas station to get a break from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well my advice is late & I am sure that you are both past the incident now but the thing about kids is that they are SO forgiving! Sometimes both the kid & parent need a time-out from each other. So don't think of it as ignoring!! Just shower him with love now. You are amazing at doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the crappy night... TRUST ME when I say I know all to well just what you are going through. Wish I could help, but I am almost always at a loss. Most the time I just sit back and pray that we'll get through this life and at some point my children will see just how much I love them and that I didn't ruin them completely. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a kindergartner thing. Savannah does the same thing sometimes. And she gets the same thing from me. Once she cools down in her room for a while, I am finally able to talk reason to her. Sometimes it is the next day. Hang in there. It will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tessa was pitching such a fit last night, refusing to undress for her bath. We put her in fully dressed.

    You're. Not. Alone.

    ReplyDelete