I adore my little James but his decidedly the most stubborn member of our family. He is 3 1/2 and has decided that he will in no way participate in any toilet activity. I have wrestled with this potty training thing with him for a long time now and wasn’t sure if I should go for it or just “waits until he decided to go for himself.” After one to many nasty diapers I was pushed to my limit and we began the cold turkey potty training. Dr. Phil (I love him) says that everyone has their currency. Meaning that everyone has something that matters so much to them that it will motivate someone to do just about anything for. I tried to no end to find his “currency” but their was nothing that meant that much to him that it would motivate him to “go” on the potty. Finally I decided to take James on an all out shopping spree at the toy store. I let him pick out all kinds of toys and a dvd then I promptly took them all away and put them in the bathroom. For every successful potty deposit got to pick one. I’m sure the mothering books say I made a grave error however in my opinion it was the best $100 I have ever spent. Jamers was magically potty trained in 1 day…..literally. He has had not one nighttime or naptime accident and is a potty champion now. Plus there is nothing cuter than his little cheeks in big boy unders.
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
11 months ago
Yay Jamers!!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome beck! I would love some bribing like that... maybe I should boycott making dinner for the next week and see where it gets me :o)
ReplyDeleteI love this idea. I will definitely use this if I ever have a child who is not wanting to potty train!
ReplyDeleteAhahaha--sounds like a good idea to me!
ReplyDelete